ID: 1032
px width
px height
Logged OUT

Beneficiary criteria

Please ensure you read this information and our application advice section before making an application


All applications for gifts, grants and loans from the Chemical Engineers Benevolent fund must be made by the person who is or has followed the profession of chemical engineer or one of their dependents. Applications are welcomed from anywhere in the world and are not dependant upon membership of any particular professional institution.


The Chemical Engineers Benevolent Fund was set up exclusively to support chemical engineers and cannot support scientists or engineers who have not practiced chemical engineering. The simplest method of meeting the criteria is to demonstrate membership of a relevant professional institution at a recognised grade or the submission of a recognised chemical engineering degree certificate. Alternatively, references from a recognised employer or academic institution may suffice. Please note that it is not automatically assumed that working in a process or chemical engineering environment qualifies an applicant as a chemical engineer. Applicants need to demonstrate that they were actively engaged in chemical engineering.


Where an application is made by a dependent, evidence will be required to prove that the individual on whom the application is based is or was a chemical engineer using the criteria noted above. Dependents are defined as close relatives of the chemical engineer named in the application eg wife, or husband, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, stepson, stepdaughter, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister. Please check our FAQ section or email info@benevolentface.org for specific advice.

Examples of applicants who cannot be supported

  • People who cannot prove that they have worked as a chemical engineer.
  • People who cannot prove that they are committed to the profession, eg by being or a having been a member of a professional institution.
  • Siblings, uncles/aunts, cousins, grandparents/children or other family members who have not been financially dependent upon the chemical engineer.
  • Dependents who have been employed although in exceptional cases this rule may be waived.
  • Dependents who do not live (or did not live) with a chemical engineer.
  • Undergraduate students.
  • Postgraduate students looking for support with living expenses or tuition fees.

Help & advice

Here to help if you or a member of your family need support.

Read more


Our volunteers help fellow members of the profession worldwide. You could help too.

Read more


The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) is the global professional body serving the chemical engineering community.

Read more

The Benevolent Fund and COVID-19

If you've been financially impacted by COVID-19, the Fund may be able to offer assistance.
For example, if your normal income has been significantly reduced the Fund may be able to provide a loan or grant to help with day-to-day expenses.
Other help could include support to cover carer's expenses if you or a family member has been badly affected by the virus.​​
The Fund offers a completely confidential service.
Please get in touch by Email info@benevolentface.org